Saturday, October 4, 2008

My dad

There are 2 pictures of my father that i switch between hanging over my desk. One is from '65, years before i was born, the other from around '86. I find the earlier one very cool, as it reminds me of the Godfather, but i barely recognize my father in it. A bit of a mystery. It reminds me to get to know his earlier work. The other one is pretty much exactly like i remember him best, bright, inquisitive and sweet. What a great head he had, and what great things came from it.






"Style is a voluntary restriction of available means" -Cornelis Verhoeven

2 comments:

Cara Blouin said...

Definitely the second one.

Marijke said...

Hi Daan, I sure remember your Dad, more from the first photograph than from the second. I remember him especially from '75 onwards. Read at an early age ‘Vogeltje in mijn buik’ (Neeltje & Tante Nonnie!) and later ‘Herinneringen aan mijn moedertaal’. Then a couple of years ago my mother gave me ‘Dierbare Woorden’. Just wanted to let you know that I pick it up once in a while (like tonight, which made me Google your father) open it and read one of the words. Always brings a smile to my face. Think it’s a beautiful book, thank you, Marijke (your cousin) from Spain