Wednesday, July 18, 2012

lovely little shit

I think i get ornithologists -though i need spell check to get their name right- but when it comes to birds, i do have distinct preferences/prejudices. For example, no matter what my friend Cara says, pigeons are assholes. Crows, on the other hand, are at least 11 different kinds of awesome. Somehow eagles are fuckers, but falcons rule. Don't get me started on the stupidity of owls, yet there's one that lives on the ground that is fantastic. And though a blackbird's song is probably the animal equivalent of a news broadcast and very funny, they're nasty beasts, whereas sparrows are so hip they hop.

And then there's the Robin, which is like a sparrow, but proudly orange. Every time i work in someone's garden and one of these little guys drops in, it makes me smile. Not afraid at all, come sit right on your spade while you're digging. But usually they're too fast for me to get out the little camera. Today, however, one was so bold, he posed for me sideways

robin on twig

gave me a cheeky little over-the-shoulder

robin over shoulder

an intimate 3 quarter

robin portrait

and even did a Roger Moore

robin front

Then he shat on George. Twice. Brilliant bird, that was.

robin


No comments: